Friday, February 5, 2010

Appreciation & Kindness


Big flakes of snow came steadily down as I drove to work this morning and for most of the morning. My "pic of the day" is of the snowfall we had in early January, but the snow outlined the trees today in a similar fashion although we didn't have as much snow as we did sleet and snow slush.
Today was most remarkable by the nomination that my supervisor and I wrote together to nominate a fellow co-worker. Over the past two days we both worked to craft a nomination that adequately portrayed and captured our co-worker's kind spirit and unique abilities. I was so excited when we had submitted it and we were able to tell her. It was like Christmas waiting for someone to unwrap the gift bought especially for them. I couldn't contain the secret any longer. Our nominee was very touched and it truly was "better to give than to receive". I enjoyed the look on her face and her thankfulness. But what I enjoyed more was knowing that we made her day and that she could go home on a Friday and truly enjoy her weekend knowing that her work is appreciated by her colleagues and that we cared enough to recognize her. It meant a lot to me to be able to give a "warm fuzzy" to someone else and I so enjoyed seeing her reaction.
Outside of that, I only had one student appointment today but it was a rather difficult one and then I spent a lot of time identifying and notifying a group of students doing fieldwork soon. I also had my weekly Friday office yoga class and spent the remainder of the day trying to calm down my email inbox which resulted in me working over. I can't hardly resist working over when it is quiet and I can zip right through my email.
I came home not feeling so well and we watched the movie, Amelia, which was very good. Paul had completed a lot today and in addition he had a nice comfort food dinner waiting for me when I came home along with a fire in the fireplace.
"Therefore, as God's chosen people, holy and dearly loved; clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience." Colossians 3:12 (NIV)

No comments:

Post a Comment