Saturday, March 13, 2010

Wheelchair Basketball Relay & Shopping

My "pic of the day" is from the Wheelchair Basketball Relay event held on campus today to raise awareness of disabilities and to serve as a fundraiser for the Wheelchair B-ball team (profiled in last Saturday's blog post). Many of my advisees, students, and professional fraternity members that I interact with on a weekly basis participated in this event. Students were to make teams of 4 and then they rotated through the various stations such as an obstacle course, hoop shoot and mine field to name a few. In the pic I've profiled, students were to carry as many items as possible and move them across the room while in a wheelchair. As you can see students developed some very creative ways to do this task.


After the Wheelchair Basketball Relay, I went shopping, yes I said shopping -- a word that has been absent from my vocab for a long time. With the legal settlement money we just received, I had enough to go shopping for the first time in over two years! I needed clothes, especially a spring/summer wardrobe for work. I shopped for a couple of hours, then had a hair appt. and then shopped for 3 more hours for total of 5 hours shopping! I'm tired but in a good way. How nice to go to the stores and actually have money to spend it's an entirely new feeling -- how accustomed I had become to the oppressive feeling of never having any money for anything beyond absolute necessities. I not only got to buy business casual clothes, but also earrings, necklaces, headbands, bras and even rain boots! I had a feeling of freedom that I had long forgotten. Too bad it is just temporary :( I did a fashion show for Paul and found that I do feel more confident in my new clothes and am excited to wear them to work this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment