Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Elmo has New Shoes


Today's "pic of the day" is of the sole of my old tennis shoe contrasted against the sole of my brand new tennis shoe. I bought new tennis shoes (made possible with the legal settlement money) on Friday night during a sale at Kohl's.
The purchase was none too soon, because on Saturday night as I was wearing my old tennis shoes, before breaking in the new ones, in the rain and snow slush I discovered that they had a split in the sole and my toes were all wet after I got home. The split was in addition to the very worn soles which no longer provided traction and several places on the inside which were starting to break apart. This is what happens when you don't have money to replace your shoes in over two years, when your shoes are not new at the time the two year clock starts.
It was getting to a point that I found myself staring and being jealous of the new shoes my students were wearing. I was also frustrated when I would hear friends talk of new shoe purchases and taking them for granted. As you can see I definitely am not taking my new shoes for granted. I worked out in them for the first time last night and I'm very thankful to be able to afford new shoes!
It's a running joke in my family to say, "Elmo has new shoes", like the Seasme Street character, everytime we buy new shoes....so that is why I chose to title this blog as such. It's been a long 10 hr day and I'm ready to retire all shoes and collapse.

No comments:

Post a Comment