Saturday, January 9, 2010

Snowcapades

Pic of the Day features photos of things that I have come across in my daily life that I find quite interesting. Today I'm profiling the huge ice "waterfalls" that have been frozen in time from our sub zero temps all week. I would marvel at these natural ice sculptures as I would drive to work and I couldn't wait for Saturday when I would have time to take pics during daylight hours. I waded through some pretty deep snow drifts along side the road where the snow plows had pushed all the snow and actually fell over at one point to get these shots but it was worth it.

Along with the ice, I also took images of the snow we had on Wednesday and Thursday (at right and below). I was quite taken by how the snow outlined the tree branches and am reminded of God's "paintbrush."
I also liked to contrast the textures against the snow, and compare the intricate (and at times fragile looking) plant structures to their cold and brutal surroundings. "Quiet" is often a word I think of a lot during the winter. I'm always amazed by how still the parks are in comparison to the summer. Last night as I walked out of my building after work, I realized how loud the crunching of snow was under my feet and that there was such an absence of sound from people, birds and nature as we find during warmer seasons.

Photography is a hobby of mine, and has actually become quite more than that as I have paired with my husband to offer wedding and portraiture photography through our business EZ Productions.

No comments:

Post a Comment