Thursday, January 21, 2010

Healing & Fruitfulness

During tonight's Grey's Anatomy, Meredith's character said, "...a cut lets the healing process begin...the cut goes through the healthy skin so what's unhealthy can be found and removed." My pic of the day is inspired by this thought that just as my mom "cuts" the weeds and prunes her flower garden (at left) we cut unhealthy areas of our life and if we don't, then God does so that we will be more fruitful.

The Grey's Anatomy quote made me think about my dental implant especially since I made my appointment today to enter phase III of my dental implant procedure. First I had the bad tooth extracted, the surface looked healthy but underneath was the infection. Several months later after the extraction site had healed, the dentist had to cut it open again and place the implant below the surface to fuse with my jaw bone. Now, several more months later, it has healed again but I am still without a tooth. So, the dentist has to go back and cut the healthy skin once again to place the external part where the crown will eventually be positioned.

I think about how many healthy looking "cuts" are made to begin the healing process. For example, I've talked to several students this week contemplating "cuts" in their own lives...dropping one major to pursue another career path; having to give up one plan when realizing the deadline has past; and having to step back and trim obligations all to heal in a variety of ways.

Where do you need to make cuts so that you will be more fruitful?

"He cuts off every branch in me that bears no fruit, while every branch that does bear fruit he prunes so that it will be even more fruitful." John 15:2 (NIV)



No comments:

Post a Comment