Tuesday, May 25, 2010

A Car Kind of Day

It was a car kind of day. We awoke to the sound of someone honking in our apt. complex at 5:30 a.m.. This happened once before and it seems to be someone honking to let someone else know that they are waiting for them. It's sort of understandable in the frigid temps of winter, but NOT on a 60F morning! Then as I was walking into work, I bumped into a colleague who had been to court the day before regarding a ticket she received for not having her insurance card a couple of months ago when she was pulled over for having a taillight out.

Then this evening as I got off work, traffic was backed up and re-routed so strangely that I inquired what had happened. Apparently a truck with a ladder had clipped some power lines and knocked down the lines in the middle of a main street in town. This caused me to take an alternate route to the gym. Traffic was so crazy as it wound its way around the side streets of campus, that I had to reverse down a side street to let a city bus through. Then I almost hit someone as they were crossing the street because the back end of the bus was hiding them. Then at the 4 way stop, the last person approaching the intersection didn't wait for their turn and nearly T-boned me as I honked and swerved. Then I was backed up in more traffic before finally arriving at the gym. I had a feeling that told me not to go to the gym, but did I listen, NO!

While I was getting changed into my gym clothes my nose started to bleed, another sign I shouldn't have been at the gym. After my work out, I was nearly run over by someone in the parking lot at the crosswalk and I got in my car anxious to get home and off the road. I had a very distinct gut feeling to take a left turn out of the gym parking lot and go home an alternate way. However, as I saw the line of traffic, I decided the easier way out of the gym parking lot and into the main road was better and in doing so made a decision against what my gut was telling me.

On the way home I was very careful since I had a distinct feeling I should have gone an alternate route that I hadn't traveled in several months. I was nearly home and crossed through an area that I cross at a minimum twice daily just a minute from my apt. When I looked in my rear view mirror to cross lanes and turn into my apt. complex I saw a cop with flashing lights behind me. WHAT!?! WHY!?! I thought. I pulled over at the entrance of my apt. complex and he asked me why I had chosen to go through the driveway area of a small shopping complex instead of going through the lights. He ended up giving me a $75 ticket for traveling through an area that I and many others travel through daily. If only I had listened to my gut and not gone to the gym at all or had gone the alternate route home, I may never have gotten a ticket at all!

This ruined my night as I came home in tears since my husband and I had plans for a day trip over Memorial weekend which would cost probably about $75. You have to remember that we have not had the money to get away at all for over 2.5 years and that we are on a very tight budget. I couldn't believe that what little fun we were looking forward to was taken away so quickly. How I had just listened to folks this week with big Memorial weekend plans which included Disney World and cruises! Nothing worked or went well all night including the internet! In addition, shortly after I got home we received a call from an insurance agency regarding an auto claim recently filed by a "Kevin Robinson", obviously not us but what freaky timing. My "pic of the day" is of my car shortly after a small accident several years ago which I have never had the money to repair.

No comments:

Post a Comment