Sunday, November 21, 2010

The Big Move

I can't believe it's been four days since my last blog, as I've had very few misses in my blog and none beyond 1 day. I guess I can be excused since we did just move and I was without internet service for almost 3 of those days.

I can't believe how much has transpired in the past 96 hours since my last blog, and so much of it seems like a blur, but I'll try to recap what's been going on:

Thursday: We got up at 7am, the movers starting packing us up at 9:30am and it took them until nearly 1 pm to get everything loaded. We actually ran out of room in our 17 foot U-Haul and had to do a lot of creative stuffing in our cars and the passenger seat of the U-Haul to get it all to fit. We then had to go get the car transporter attached at U-Haul to tow one of our cars and had to go back to the apt. so I could drive the other car and Paul drove off with the U-Haul with my car keys inside! Luckily I was able to get him by cell phone before he got too far away. All of this slowed us down and we ended up leaving Columbia at about 3:30 and hit rush hour traffic in KC and had to rush against the clock to get to our apt. complex to sign our lease and get the keys to our new apt. by 5:30pm. Since it was after 6pm by the time we got our apt. keys, the movers rescheduled our unloading to the next day, so we had to go out and buy some essentials (like an air mattress) to get through the evening. Within our first hour in our new apt., Paul ran into our new neighbors as he was unloading stuff from the car and they invited us over for an informal party which was actually a little dinner party so we ended up having a home cooked meal of steak and lobster bisque after a long day of moving!! We got to bed at about 11:30 pm.

Friday: We didn't sleep well because the air mattress didn't hold air and we were up by 7 am. Paul had to drive the U-Haul to return the car transporter so the U-Haul could be unloaded by the movers who were supposed to get arrive btw. 11-11:30. We unloaded our cars and then the movers were a little late and came by 12:30pm and unloaded more boxes than I ever imagined we had for 3 hours. We then assembled our Sleep Number bed and then went to Applebee's and came home and collapsed from pure exhaustion at 9 pm on a Friday night and slept for over 12 hours.

Saturday: We tried to unpack a few of the most essential boxes and move the other boxes to the perimeters of the apt. because the Time Warner tech was coming by to connect our cable and internet btw. 2-5pm. We then ran to Wal-Mart for a few things and happened upon a good sale for a flat screen tv (something we had been wanting for a long time) so we made an impulse buy and got it home and put up just before the cable guy came. Then we had to move around/unpack even more boxes to make sure we had a view of the t.v. from the couch. Then we invited our friend from Lee's Summit over who we haven't seen in about a year and ordered a pizza and watched football on our new tv. Just as we were getting ready for bed at about 10:45 pm, our carbon monoxide detector started going off, which scared us, until we realized it was just an alarm for low batteries. So, Paul made a trip out and got batteries which solved the problem. So it was pushing midnight before we made it to bed.

Sunday: We slept in, and Paul got up before me and started making his way through the boxes in the office and for his closet. I was supposed to take it easy, but got obsessed with getting all the clothes I would not be wearing into the new Space Saver vacuum sealed bags that we bought the day before. I spent the next 4 hours sifting through clothes and sorting them from cold and warm weather clostes and further into categories of fit and doesn't fit. Finally by 5 pm I relaxed on the couch and fell asleep for a few minutes before we decided to go out for dinner. We were going to run 2 miles down the road, but that restaurant didn't exist at the address we found on the web, so we GPS'd some other restaurants and drove around for the longest time (about 40 min.) not finding anything we wanted and actually came within walking distance of the plaza and then decided to go to an Applebee's that we knew. When we walked into the Applebee's, believe it or not, one of my former students and advisee was there with his friend, so I talked to him and then we ordered and finally got to eat!

I have one more day off to try and rest before starting my new job on Tuesday. My "pic of the day" is of our new 42" flat screen t.v. in our new living room.

No comments:

Post a Comment