Thursday, August 5, 2010

Day 8

For several years now I've been trying to go to the infamous Bailey's Chocolate Bar in St. Louis. This evening I finally made its acquaintance as we were in STL for Paul's business trip.

The ambiance inside of Bailey's is quite cozy and romantic with red walls and trendy decor framing small tables each featuring a lit candle and two fresh cut stem roses. The small pizzetta that Paul and I shared was really good (a little spicy), the chocolate martini I had was simply delicious, but our dessert was not what I had expected and waited for all this time to taste. The first dessert, what they call a "chocolate bar" on the menu, I actually sent back and decided to trade it for a chocolate brownie thinking that it was virtually impossible to mess up a brownie. Somehow Bailey's found a way to experiment with the brownie in an attempt to make it trendy to the point that it had lost the rich chocolate flavor I anticipated when ordering it.

I have to say that after a stressful day of getting tired, hot and sweaty, and looking forward to Bailey's all day, it did not live up to my expectation. I did see other customers enjoying desserts that looked much better than the ones I had, so my hope is that if I get a chance to go again I will be presently surprised with the right dessert choice. Other than the chocolate bar, my husband and I literally stumbled upon a "Welsh-themed" pub when we were looking for a place to brainstorm before his meeting; and I was able to get to know STL a little bit better today.

No comments:

Post a Comment