Sunday, June 13, 2010

Giant Redwood Log

My "pic of the day" is of part of a Redwood tree that Paul and I found on display last weekend when we were at the Lake. Tucked in behind several businesses along the Bagnell Dam Strip was the section of this tree. I'm sure it has been on show for some time, but it's the first time I've ever come across it and I've never heard any of the locals talk about it. I had Paul stand against the tree with his arms out. Since he is 6'5", one can get a real sense of just how big this redwood log is, and can imagine how big the actual tree would have been.

I tried to take a picture of the sign which told a bit about it which I've included below. The sign reads, "Each ring on the cross-section of this redwood log represents one year of growth. By counting the rings, the age of the tree can be determined. This Giant Redwood was over 1000 years old when it was cut in the 1960's."

"Make a tree good, and its fruit will be good, or make a tree bad and its fruit will be bad, for a tree is recognized by its fruit." (Matthew 12:33)

No comments:

Post a Comment