Sunday, July 11, 2010

Mission's Work

Today in church the message was related to a recent missions trip that the church had just completed in Jamaica. They showed pictures of the poverty of the people they helped and witnessed to, and it made me think of the poverty I had seen of the Mayan village people as our tour bus made its way to the Mayan ruins (pic of the day at left) in '07.

I remember being a tourist at that time and leaving our resort on a tour bus and making the 3 hour trip into Mexico, and how guilty I felt as we passed the shack-like housing that the Mayan people called home on our way to the Mayan ruins. I felt so bad that hundreds of tourists passed by these people and their poverty daily without doing anything about it, and how guilty I was of this same lack of action. After I got back to the U.S. I always said that I would not feel right going to Mexico again unless it was for some sort of missions related trip to help those people that I saw.

There were several good points brought up in today's church sermon:

1) Ever wonder why God has chosen to bless you? We've been blessed so we can be a blessing to others.
2) As great as people's physical needs are, their spiritual needs are greater.
3) "Death & destruction are never satisfied, and neither are the eyes of men." Proverbs 27:20

No comments:

Post a Comment